Troop, as we head into our Pin Night, we’re going to have a lot of Webelos checking out Troop 412. We want them to know we’re the best Scout troop in Olathe! So as you interact with them, please keep the following techniques in mind in order to make them feel welcome.
- So we always have boys to teach. You can’t be a leader if there is no one to lead!
- More friends in the troop. Some of my best friends were once Webelos.
- To keep the troop going. Troop 412 is 25 years strong because Webelos choose to join us every year.
- So more boys can experience scouting. If only those non-Scouts knew what they were missing, right?
- New scouts bring new ideas. Webelos keep the troop young and fresh.
How to get to know them
- LEARN their name. Don’t just ask their name. Learn it. Use it. Make them feel welcome.
- Tell them jokes and be playful. Have fun. Let them know we’re not always serious.
- Ask lots of questions about:
- Find common interests like:
- Video games
How to recruit
- Tell stories about previous campouts. Remember that time you got your Jeep stuck in the mud?
- Share details about summer camp. Is there anything better than a Peach Float at Bartle???
- Talk about your favorite merit badges. Who knew canoeing was so much fun?
- Mic-O-Say & Order of the Arrow. Share the pride.
- Discuss how the boys lead the troop. Webelos aren’t used to making their own choices regarding scouts and activities. Let them know that they’ll have a say in the action!
As we work with Webelos, let’s keep these things in mind. Let’s get them to choose Troop 412 as their new home for Scouting!